Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Two UFOs

I just realized that it's been a while since I talked about the UFOs in the house. There are actually quite a few, but, like Macavity, they tend to be very mysterious--

But I tell you once and once again,
Macavity's not there!

[Macavity is my all time favorite from the famous book. I've always wanted to sew one for myself. Someday it shall be done.]

The truth is, I have a huge grey tank and several dark-colored boxes hidden in my attic...where the UFOs live undisturbed. But, alas, every time I visit my LYSs, or go online shopping, I sense their presence and wrath and can't help feeling a bit uneasy.

The first UFO should have become a bolero, had my fervor not burned out before all the seams were sewn.


The yarn used were Rowan Calmer and Classic Elite Patina. Like everyone else, I adore Calmer. Patina, on the other hand, is a so-so summer yarn which splits.

Now that I become a brand-new member of Create Along, I have a good reason to resurrect this beautiful yarn. I can enjoy the tactile pleasure of knitting with Calmer once again.

Sketches and progress will be posted both here and at the CAL, so stay tuned ;-)!

The other UFO is merely two days old. I once bought a ball of Lenox from WEBS, when it first came out. It's baby alpaca soft, but I cannot say I am a big fan of alpaca. Then a couple of days ago, I picked it up for a quick bedtime project, thinking that maybe I should design a pair of beginner mittens, knitted on two straight needles with minimum skill requirements.

My plan was to start with a lacy edging which then becomes a rib pattern. And the two mitts should be identical, like EZ's Norwegian Mitts. I even named them Latte. [Is this crazy? I name most of my knits!]

It did not work out...


Help please, I really need some help. Now it doesn't look right to me, with all these ribs going up and looking bulky--not in a cozy way. What changes do you think could rescue it?

Thank you in advance--I appreciate your help, or just any opinions on this UFO.

Iris

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog through create along and I just love it! I am a fairly new knitter, so I just love to see what more experienced knitters make and create, keep up the great projects! Char.

Connie said...

I know exactly what you mean about UFOs. They cause me quite a bit of guilt and stress too, but I try to think of knitting as a process and as long as I'm deriving enjoyment from the process, it's not always necessary to get a FO out of it, right? ;)

As far as the latte mitts go, maybe you can do a variation of a rib, like an eyelet rib or a 1x4 rib so it won't look as chunky, but still give you the rib effect?

Iris G said...

I definitely have to try a lighter rib, thank you Connie! The reason why I did the rib was to add ease (one size fits all).

I'll do my best ;-)

Regg said...

nice blog!
I have more UFO then u!
keep it up~

JL said...

Love Calmer too.

It is better to have UFOs instead of none, rite ?

Connie said...

Hi Iris, thanks for your nice comments on my blog. I have the UFO's in plain sight (mostly) and they growl at me as I pass them by for the yarn stash. I have recently started frogging some completely. For your lovely mitts, though, you could try a twisted rib - I think it looks nice and it lies a little flatter.

Tami said...

Hiya Iris,
I have just recently started to write down my designs and putting them on my blog. I love the way you explain your designing process. I have quite a few UFO's too (a sweater for one of my girls) but it's a winter aran so I left it to start making some summer tops for the girls n the grandbaby. (gonna have another one coming in bout 7 months).
Do you have any advice for budding knitwear designers?

office said...

The Tax Return Crack-Up<4>
Realizing he might have dug himself in there,Microsoft Office 2010the general emphasized that Office 2010he had spent some time as a junior Office 2007officer working "very closely Microsoft Officewith the Israeli air force" and that heMicrosoft Office 2007had found that "more cosmopolitan,Office 2007 key liberal version of the Israeli population" Office 2007 downloadto be just chock full Office 2007 Professionalof that sort of "goodwill" necessary Windows 7to give a bunch of land back Microsoft outlook 2010to the Palestinians.

dfgdhgh said...

A bumblebee if dropped into an open tumbler will be there until it dies, unless it is taken out Cheap Minecraft Gift Code, It never sees the means of escape at the top, but persists in trying to find some way out through the sides near the bottom Ultimate Game Card, it will seek a way where none exists, until it completely destroys itself Buy Xbox Live Points.

dfgdhgh said...

Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right and forget about the ones who do not buy c9 gold, Life is like a hot bath. It feels good while you're in it, but the longer you stay in, the more wrinkled you get cheap c9 gold, what gets us into trouble is not what we don't know.It's what we know for sure that just ain't so c9 money.