Friday, April 6, 2007

Swatches, failures, and new plans

I just started to make This. There is a ball of Babykid sleeping in my stash, and it gets fondled a lot, what a cute yarn. I've been wondering what "one ball wonder" I could do with it until I saw this airy shrug from Garnstudio. Their patterns are so beautiful, and who doesn't like free patterns? The pattern calls for two balls of a similar yarn, so my version will have shorter sleeves.

I picked Vine lace pattern from A Treasury of Knitting Patterns, a beautifully simple one and started working on size 10 Brittany. So far so good:


The cold weather has definitely promoted knitting! I've just finished a warm sweater. Pictures will come later.

Also swatched is this extremely squishy merino, Santa Fe, it feels like a nylon stocking on needles, really. Great yardage, too. Tahki (and FDC and SCC) is a great yarn company, imho. I enjoyed working with every yarn I tried from them.


I am not sure what to make with Santa Fe yet, I have seen a couple of vests but was unimpressed. One interesting thing about bulky yarns is that they have to be made into closely fitted clothes, or huge accessories. A fitted bulky sweater can be very attractive, while a baggy one may look horrible. Exaggerated accessories have been "in" for several years, and they are still everywhere.

Speaking of bulky yarn, I have some Rowan Big wool fusion for a jacket. This yarn is very soft, but clearly different from those extrafine merinos. I like this cool color. At first it was a cabled one, here is the debris:


It was frogged because when I tried it on, it was too baggy. Then it became this:

Can you see the second one was an unfinished, slightly modified Twinkle design?
This time it was a bit tight, for my gauge changed in the process!

Three is a charm, and I will probably make this jacket:

or this pretty pretty pullover:

Which one do you like better?

5 comments:

Anne said...

I like the one without the high neck more - but it's a preference! Your lace is looking BEAUTIFUL! I just want to reach out and touch it!

Robin said...

Love your lace!

Good for you starting a blog!

office said...

The Tax Return Crack-Up<4>
Realizing he might have dug himself in there,Microsoft Office 2010the general emphasized that Office 2010he had spent some time as a junior Office 2007officer working "very closely Microsoft Officewith the Israeli air force" and that heMicrosoft Office 2007had found that "more cosmopolitan,Office 2007 key liberal version of the Israeli population" Office 2007 downloadto be just chock full Office 2007 Professionalof that sort of "goodwill" necessary Windows 7to give a bunch of land back Microsoft outlook 2010to the Palestinians.

dfgdhgh said...

I love you not for the things you would bring to me but to accept everything you could bring EQ2 Plat, he true love is not for showing, but I am sure that even if all other people abandon me, you will still be my side EQ2 Platinum, I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you EQ2 Gold

dfgdhgh said...

I love you not for the things you would bring to me but to accept everything you could bring Cheap Minecraft Gift Code, he true love is not for showing, but I am sure that even if all other people abandon me, you will still be my side Buy Xbox Live Points, I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you Ultimate Game Card