Friday, August 3, 2007

Indigo Flowers V

Click to read about Indigo Flowers I, II, III, 3.5, and IV.

My dear friends and guests, welcome to the show! Here, I give you Indigo Flowers , undergoing metamorphosis (blocking, that is):



Can you see how joyful the lace is, relaxing in a basin of tepid water?

A dollop of rose-scented conditioner leaves a lingering sweet scent on the vest. I know, I should have used orchid or lavender to match the mood of the vest, but I always find rose irresistible.


As you can see, the neckline is finished with a few rows of garter stitches and THE bind-off method. Initially I also worked two rounds of seed stitches at the sleeve openings, but Calmer had its own mind (elastic cotton, what can you do), so I ripped them out in the end.

Here are a couple of peeks:





Ah and I must show you the asymmetrical element I incorporated into the vest. Look at the left side, and ignore the marker thread please:


It's been so long since I first conceived the design--two and a half months to be accurate. Like many others, I changed quite a few design elements on the way, so I am more than pleased to see that the original idea has come through (has it ;-)?) in the finished garment. Invaluable suggestions and opinions from friends and readers have helped me out of several critical problems, and your encouragements and reminders(!) have kept Indigo Flowers alive ;-). Thank you!

--Iris

11 comments:

fleegle said...

fleegle swoons!

Just call me Ruby said...

Iris, its beautiful, it looks so delicate. The neckline works absolutely perfectly and I just love the idea of it being rose scented. What next?

Lucy said...

Iris your Indigo Flowers is simply stunning - I love the scent of a rose too - I had already commented but made so many typo errors I decided to rewrite - it's still early in the day here - thanks for your comments on my blog regarding Cressida!! Happy Knitting

opportunityknits said...

congrats on a fine finish! It's beautiful, a touch of wispy lace with a touch of casual! And thanks for sharing the designing process, it was fun to watch the idea come to shape.

Anonymous said...

It is absolutely gorgeous; the lace is so light and airy. I was watching it coming to life right from the beginning and can tell you with confidence that you did a great job. It’s just perfect.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful, Iris! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the entire creative process.

Iris G said...

Thank you folks! I'm trying to photograph the vest now so I can write a little more about it ;-).

Probably Jane said...

What a well conceived, beautifully executed piece of work - it's beautiful.

And thank you so much for the help in attaching pdfs to my blog - have done it already!

Octopus Knits said...

Very pretty! I love the soft rippled edge the garter stitch gives.

P.S. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (The Yarn Harlot) likes your Pencil Sketch design. I wore it to her Madison, CT appearance (I decided to give my Sockapalooza pal a signed copy of Stephanie's latest book) and she said it really suits me and asked to touch the fabric. Thanks, Iris!

soknitpicky said...

It's beautiful, Iris!

Connie said...

This turned out really well, what a flattering piece!